Add support for containerised/core installs of Home Assistant

Could support be added for Home Assistant where it is running containerised or core. Perhaps with a focus on the containerised version given this is a very popular way to run HA on Docker supported devices. Synology and QNAP and various other NAS manufacturers support Docker out of the box therefore is a popular way to run it.

Addon implementation is generally not needed via HA when running Docker owing to being able to just run the containers directly via Docker.

I second this, I have an Amber NAS with HA running, an “integration” vs and “Add-on” seems to me could be possible. (voted!)

1 Like

+1 … HA in podman. I’m kind of surprised to learn that containers aren’t (apparently?) the dominant format for HA, but in any case, they certainly aren’t oddballs or special cases.

1 Like

The underlying tech for Add-ons is containers, but there are some special features layered on top of that. We run most of the code standalone during development, so some of the building blocks to run as a standalone container are there but are statically generated as part of our development build process, so we would need to look into making certain pieces more dynamic.

If I remember correctly, some of the more recent HA OS builds actually make certain things only available within the Supervisor whereas you could previously access them via API as well, so we might need a few workarounds there too. :smiley:

1 Like

I totally admit this is a large ask from a small number of users. I also admit I know a very minimal amount about HA, being quite new to it. So I’m very much in the dark about why the Add-ons approach was used vs Integrations.

Anyway, not looking to whine, just a way of saying SharpTools dash is better than HA dash, just think it’d be nice if I could use them together in my system’s current form. I don’t expect I’ll ever go the supervised or haos route.

1 Like

We’ve updated our build process to better support running the SharpTools↔HASS Connector as a standalone container. If any of you want to give it a try, send a PM to @support and I can share the details.

@Fazed, @Travis_Mielonen, @Ina_Kutscher, @Peter_Ksinan, @Matthew_Wildrick, @Iordanis_Pallikaras, @martybird
1 Like