Z Wave Function

Hi,

This may be a dumb question, but I can’t find an answer. I have previously set up some wifi devices with the dashboard and can turn items on and off and the icon light will reflect that status (no matter where if I turned the device on or off). I have set up an older z-wave light switch and I am able to control it via the dashboard, but it’s status (i.e. lit up icon) is not reflected. Can this be fixed?

Thanks!

Can you tell me more about the older Z-wave light switch?

The lit-up icon is based on the device sending over it’s switch (on/off) status to SharpTools. If it’s a regular switch, the on/off status is shown in the bottom-right corner of the tile (if it’s dimmable, it will show the dim percentage):

Alternatively, you can view the details that SharpTools sees by:

1. Open your SharpTools user page
  2. Tap the ... next to your desired location
  3. Tap on your desired device in the Things list

When you are viewing the device’s details (via the steps immediately above), there is a section called Attribute Values which shows the available attributes. The items in black mean that SharpTools should be receiving event updates. Specifically, you want to see the switch attribute in black:

Thanks Josh,

Your answer makes perfect sense. My switch is greyed out and my z-wave device is fairly old (intermatic HA20). I’m assuming I can’t get ST to see this switch based on my device? Thanks!

My apologies - I should have asked in advance if you are using SmartThings or Hubitat?

If it’s on SmartThings, I would be curious which capabilities it reports (on the same device page that you saw the attributes). It should report a Switch capability and SharpTools will automatically ask SmartThings to setup the subscription to the switch attribute:

I’m using Hubitat for my setup.

In that case, the subscriptions aren’t currently reflected in the SharpTools.io UI as they are currently automatically setup by Hubitat.

Does Hubitat reflect the proper state of the device in their admin UI all the time? I had some older Z-wave devices in my previous home and I had to use a specific driver (Generic Z-wave Switch?) along with Hubitat’s new Z-wave poller app to get it to consistently know the proper state.

I can’t remember off the top of my head, but it was either when the switch was controlled physically or when the switch was controlled digitally that Hubitat wouldn’t know the state of the device anymore. Switching to the appropriate driver and using the Z-Wave polling app fixed things up for me