Volume Up and Down Tiles for Harmony?

Trying to figure out how to add a Volume Up and Down set of tiles (maybe mute) on my Main dashboard. Would use my Harmony app I assume since my Anthem processor is not integrated with Smartthings.

Tried setting up a new rule but it appears I can only select to trigger an activity from Harmony, not a function within a device itself that is set up in Harmony?

I’m probably going about this wrong?

Harmony integrations are generally ‘Activity’ based just like the Harmony app. Eg. You would have an activity like ‘Watch TV’ or ‘Play Xbox’.

For example, the official SmartThings integration is activity based. You can start an activity or end all activities, but it doesn’t have individual device control.

I haven’t personally tried it, but I believe there are some community developed integrations that expose the individual commands. From what I recall, most of these require you to run a small server (eg. on a NAS or Raspberry Pi).

One other approach would be to use a Hyperlink tile to open the Harmony app.

Or if you want to tinker a bit, I believe this can be done with Tasker, but that would only work on Android based devices.

1 Like

First of all, thanks for the incredibly responsiveness and Happy New Year!

Okay, I have a FireHD so will check on Tasker whether there is anything there or maybe Automateit since I’m using that.

The plug-in I used was called Tasker Plugin for Harmony. I don’t think it’s on the Amazon App Store (as Tasker isn’t either)… but you might be able to side load it.

hmmm…quite the warning when you go into the harmony hub to enable XMPP? Warranty is void, completely insercure, etc?

The smart home community threw a fit when Harmony disabled XMPP without any warning. It was the main local API that plugins like this and systems like Home Assistant used. The Harmony team ended up backtracking and reenabling XMPP on the device behind a configuration switch.

It had been open for many years prior. From what I understand, it’s a local API so would have to be compromised locally. Reading through some of the articles, one of the concerns is that if you have security devices like locks connected to the Harmony hub then a compromised device on your network could in theory send an unlock command to the Harmony hub without being authenticated.

Just getting back to this. Installed and managed to connect to Tasker for Harmony. But when I open the app, I can’t actually figure out how to do anything with it. Found a video using IFTTT and Maker to tie to the tasker plugin, but the Maker IFTTT service it used doesn’t seem to be in IFTTT anymore.

Is there a how to to set a volume control button? Is there a big delay between the button press and teh action, as if so I won’t bother.

Also, just thinking, is it possible at all to say open an app in a small window in Fully and use a command from that? E.g., I side loaded the Anthem MRX app, which opens automatically into a volume up/down page. If instead of switching apps from fully to anthem, I could open up the app in a small window in Fully, that might work and be quicker than waiting for the Harmony app to open?

To be perfectly transparent, Tasker is definitely a tinkerers paradise (eg. power user focused). It’s not an officially supported integration by any means, and it will take quite a few steps to setup… but it should all happen locally, so I would think it would be reasonably fast.

The Tasker Plugin for Harmony is a plugin for the Android automation app called Tasker. So you’ll need both of those for this to work. And will likely need the AutoTools Tasker plugin to trigger the task from your dashboard easily.

The high level concept would be to:

1. Install Tasker, AutoTools (Tasker Plugin), and the Tasker Plugin for Harmony

2. Configure the Tasker Plugin for Harmony so it recognizes your Harmony remote

3. Create a new Tasker Profile using an AutoTools which runs a Tasker Task with your desired command from the Tasker Plugin for Harmony

4. Use a Hyperlink tile to trigger the Tasker profile/task (reference)

Hey Josh, I followed your instructions and I was able to get pretty far. The only thing I’m having a problem with is triggering the Tasker Profile via Hyperlink. I know the task works because I can run that independently and it does the action I requested (pause). It looks like the end of the URL in Sharptools.io is whatever I entered for the command filter? If so, I’ve ensured they match (autotoolscommand://pause), but it doesn’t trigger anything. Any ideas on what I might be messing up on?

What browser are you using this with? If I remember correctly, in Fully Kiosk Browser you have to enable a few additional settings. Check under Web Content Settings → Open URL Schemes in Other Apps and Open Other URL Schemes

Edit: Also make sure to either back completely out of Tasker to apply the changes to the profile (not just switching apps) or manually press the checkmark to ensure the profile becomes active.

I was using Fully Kiosk, that did the trick! Can’t thank you enough for the help, I don’t think I would have ever come across that on my own.

2 Likes