Tasker Plugins + Android Widgets Ending

Yes, it will go away when Groovy ends. However, you use use Tasker to trigger SharpTools rules that can turn devices on or off. Look for threads related to using HTTP requests.

Gonna be sad to lose the widgets, as that was the main thing I bought Sharptools for originally.

I was wondering if anybody out there had an alternative way to display a widget for a Smartthings object, specifically I currently have a widget that displays the humidity in my crawlspace from a Zooz multisensor.

Or is the groovy takedown gonna wipe out all dev’s current options for custom widgets now?

You can use the Push Events to Phone approach mentioned above with Tasker. Tasker has some basic widget features and last I checked people were using KLWP or KWGT for more advanced custom widgets.

@josh I know the current SharpTools tasker plugin is going away and your busy with the transition to the API vs groovy. Is there a chance that the app will be reworked for use with the new API? Even if it’s a plugin to supply subscription based events to launch other takser events.

1 Like

Time permitting, I’d like to build some basic device control, but as you noted it’s not the top priority with the plugins being sunset… especially when people like you have built such neat profiles to fill the gap!

Do you mean reacting to Thing events in Tasker? It can be done with the approach I mentioned above. The plugins will not be updated with push event support.

Ugh. Was afraid of that. Sure, Pushover works, but IMO it’s a clumsy solution to go SmartThings → Sharptools → SharpTools Rule → Pushover → Tasker. Patchwork approaches like this create fragile and sometimes overly complex Smart Home solutions and I prefer, where possible, to minimize the number of intermediary steps, apps and third-party vendors. Simple is better.

@just_jake, we really need to find someone to build a proper Tasker Plugin for SmartThings.

Check out the Troubleshoot Push Events article. You might be surprised to find that’s similar to the chain that was happening with the existing plugins. :stuck_out_tongue:

Article quote (2016):

Groovy SmartApps could use custom logic, so they could push data directly through Google’s Cloud Messaging (Firebase) to the phone meaning no external server was needed. The new SmartThings API requires an external server to handle those events before they get pushed via Google.

Not surprised in the least, but the Pushover approach is still clumsy at best.

1 Like

When building a database is possible to have it ignore certain device IDs

The reason I ask is, I have an app connected to SmartThings with 10 RF devices, they don’t do anything in SmartThings or SharpTools but occasionally for some reason show offline.

I currently after building a database manually delete them from %DeviceDB, just curious to see if this could be possible to add to the task, thanks

Hmmm… this will give me something to think about. I have an idea how to do it.

1 Like

Hi, did you manage to get anywhere with ignoring certain device IDs, thnaks

Honestly, I got busy and forgot about this I will add it to my to-do list and bump it’s priority up.

1 Like