Tasker Phillips Hue Color Parameters

I can’t figure out how to set colors on the android app through tasker for Philips Hue products. The parameters make no change for me. Any assistance on what the value ranges are for each of the variables?
setLevel (Two Parameters?)
setHue
setSaturation
setColor
setColorTemperature

Hi @Rawlins_Riles thanks for posting! The SharpTools Tasker plugins list all the commands that a device reports that it has. In other words, these are defined by the SmartThings device handler, not by SharpTools.

A common source of reference information is the SmartThings Capabilities documentation.

Here are the relevant capabilities based on your question:

As you’ll see, most of the values are 0-100 (%). setHue is a bit of a weird one in that hue is typically expressed in 0 to 360°, but SmartThings maps that same value between 0 to 100. The following post may be helpful as a reference:

setLevel also has a quirky history in SmartThings in that it officially expects two arguments (level, rampRate/rampDuration), but most handlers are fine accepting a single argument of just the level. You can use the overflow menu in the top action bar to override the command and delete the second argument if you wish.

And setColorTemperature typically expects the Kelvin value (eg. 2000, 3000, 7000, etc).

1 Like

Thanks. This seems pretty straight forward, but something still isn’t working for me. I am unable to change the color, ie if I wanted red. I was able to figure out the color temperature and see differences, dim and bright, but still no color changes.

Any thoughts?

Have you tried setHue(0) to change the hue to red? (And optionally also setSaturation(100) to reset it to full saturation)

I’m sorry. I tried that, but…still no luck

Thanks for the screenshots. What was the state of the light before issuing those commands? Was the light already turned on? (Eg. Level = 100). Are there other commands in the Task after those actions - if so, what are they?

And did you see any error messages when manually running the Task?

If not, have you tried watching the SmartThings IDE Live Logs while you issue the command to see if SmartThings reports any errors?

I’ve tried executing the Tasker event with the light on and off. Neither provides the red result I’m looking for based on the inputs you outlined. There are no other actions after these two. Keeping it simple to see if I can get it working first.

I get the little message that says Result: Success! Not sure if that means anything.

I’ve leveraged the SmartThings IDE Live Logs as a novice in the past, but right now I am not able to see any updates…

I appreciate your help, but it seems like I’m lacking the technical know how here.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. You’re doing all the right things, but something just doesn’t seem to be working as expected! That’s part of the reason I was curious to see what the SmartThings live logs were saying.

Just to confirm, were the SmartThings IDE live logs already open in your browser before you issued command from Tasker and saw the “Result: Success” toast message?

I’ve occasionally had an issue with the live logs not showing anything. In which case usually refreshing my browser will get the live logs to start working again (verified by trying to control a device or issue a command or whatnot while the logs are open).

Ya, I’ve refreshed logged in and out on different devices to no avail. It’s weird, because I’ve seen it work before. I must be realizing some of the issues outlined on this forum… Live Logging not functional - General Discussion - SmartThings Community

Guess this is just an added layer of “fun” for smart home automation.

2 Likes

Hi Josh,
I’ve come across the same problem:

Interestingly enough from the sharptools.io web platform, no worries but through the tasker integration no change in color. Below are the logs for both commands the sat100/hue33 is the working one with web platform, the sat:100/hue:0 is from tasker integration but no change happens at the light.

WORKING (SharpTools.io web):
APPIDMATCHEDANDSAMEONBOTH 1:42:15 PM: debug updateDevice, params: [appId:APPIDMATCHEDANDSAMEONBOTH, param1:devices, param2:param2idMATCHEDonBoth, action:[GET:executeSmartAppGet, POST:executeSmartAppPost, PUT:executeSmartAppPut, DELETE:executeSmartAppDelete, OPTIONS:executeSmartAppOptions], controller:smartAppApi, id:param2idMATCHEDonBoth], request: [arguments:[[saturation:100, hue:33]], command:setColor]

NOT Working One:
APPIDMATCHEDANDSAMEONBOTH 1:42:42 PM: debug updateDevice, params: [appId:APPIDMATCHEDANDSAMEONBOTH, param1:devices, param2:param2idMATCHEDonBoth, action:[GET:executeSmartAppGet, POST:executeSmartAppPost, PUT:executeSmartAppPut, DELETE:executeSmartAppDelete, OPTIONS:executeSmartAppOptions], controller:smartAppApi, id:param2idMATCHEDonBoth], request: [arguments:[[saturation:100, hue:0]], command:setColor]

:frowning: sad face, was so excited to find out about this platform and i got the dang light dancing and prancing but the color setting wants to be a jerk.

Any ideas? (P.S. ids verified by find&replace all matched both on web and through tasker)

As far as I’m aware, the setColor command won’t work from Tasker.

You should be able to use the individual setHue, setSaturation, and setLevel commands though.

Looks like level is the only one getting a response, neither hue nor saturation commands work. I can turn on set level and turn off etc without a hitch. And again from the web I can set color just fine. Going to try and invoke an ifttt call to change the color for now but definitely no changes on setHue or setSaturation, even with the same parameter values from the logs after successful changes on web platform. This is amazing though I was trying to cook up some crazy ifttt integrations and came across SharpTools, you guys have saved me days :smiley:

1 Like