Rule for launching app

I’m trying to create a rule that will allow me to launch an intent url to open an app. I don’t see see hyperlinks as an option as a flow, so is this even possible? Essentially what I’m trying to do is launch logitech harmony app after my harmony activity tile is pressed. Is this doable?

The Dashboard can run a Rule, but the Rule Engine currently can’t directly control tiles on the dashboard.

That being said, you have a few options (assuming this is on Android or FireOS):

1. Use a separate Hyperlink tile to launch your desired app
  2. If you are using Fully Kiosk Browser, use the Fully Kiosk Browser Controller DTH (Hubitat | SmartThings) to launch the app using the launchAppPackage() command
  3. If you’re using a device with Google Play services, use Pushbullet or Pushover to send a notification to the tablet, then use Tasker to open the desired app

Is this using a native Virtual Switch tile that the Harmony integration creates for each activity?

What did you plan on using as your trigger? One thing to keep in mind is if you use native Harmony Activity Switch changing to on as the trigger, then the tablet will always open the app even if that activity’s switch gets turned on from somewhere else. If you don’t want that, you might consider adding a separate Virtual Switch and then a rule tied to that special virtual switch which activates your desired activity and opens your desired app.

1 Like

Does Fully Kiosk Browser Controller DTH is still the way to open apps from the rule engine nowadays?

Hi @Guy_Michaelis welcome to the community. Using the Fully Kiosk Browser DTH is probably still the easier approach. The other approach is to use HTTP Action in Rule Engine to send the HTTP request to the Fully Kiosk Brower directly, but the address used in the HTTP action must be public resolvable and you will have to configure your router/server to pass the request to the device running FKB and ensure proper security policies & protocol are used.

1 Like