Next Generation SmartThings Integration

We’re excited to announce our Next Generation SmartThings Integration!

New Users
As of August 12th 2022, the next-generation integration is now the default connection for new users. No special action is needed as you are automatically using the new connection and things will continue to work after the Groovy shutdown with no action required!

Existing users
As of September 19th 2022, migration tools are now available for all SharpTools users who have a legacy SmartThings connection.

:information_source: For more details on the SmartThings Groovy changes, check out our SmartThings Groovy Update thread.

:warning: The SmartThings IDE will start having features removed on October 15th 2022 and Groovy is expected to be shutdown by December 31st 2022. Only the next-generation connection will continue to work after the Groovy shutdown, so you must migrate for your dashboards and rules to continue working!

The migration tools guide you through the process of connecting a next-generation connection and can automatically migrate your dashboards and rules which have content from the legacy connection to the next-gen connection.

As a reminder, this only impacts users who still have a legacy SmartThings connection. If your account is impacted, you will see a red banner as shown in the reply below.

1 Like

The migration tools are now available in production. When you refresh your SharpTools User Page, you should see a migration banner if you still have a legacy SmartThings connection (indicated by a circle icon to the left of the location name):

This will walk you through the process of authorizing the next-generation connection, then will bring you back to the migration screen to migrate any dashboards, rules, or Super Tiles you might have with legacy-connection content in them.

Step-by-Step Instructions (tap to expand)
  1. Open your SharpTools.io User Page
  2. Tap the red migration banner above the list of locations
  3. Tap the Begin Authorization button
  4. If you are prompted to login to SmartThings, do so
  5. When prompted to allow SharpTools access to your things:
    1. Select your location from the drop-down
    2. Leave all the boxes checked
    3. Scroll down and tap the blue Authorize button
  6. You’ll be redirected back to SharpTools where you’ll see a device synchronization progress bar
  7. When the device synchronization completes, you’ll be presented with a button to Continue Migration which you can tap to continue

:warning: Important: If you had multiple legacy locations authorized, make sure to heed the warning to return to your SharpTools.io User Page and manually authorize your additional locations using the Samsung SmartThings option under the Manage Connections button
    When you proceed through the authorization again, when you are prompted to “Allow ‘SharpTools’ access to these things”, make sure to select your other location and tap Authorize. Repeat as needed for multiple locations

8. After tapping Continue Migration from the previous step, you’ll be redirected to the the Migration Manager where it will check to make sure you’re ready to go
    1. If everything is good, you’ll see a message indicating that you are ready to migrate. Tap the green Migrate button to continue
    2. If the analysis identifies any issues, you’ll see an extra link to the right of the ‘Toggle Details’ hyperlink which enables you to view the errors.
      • The recommended approach is to review these errors and correct things as necessary - for example, you might have a Placeholder tile on a dashboard that needs to be removed. Or perhaps a rule that is referencing a device that doesn’t exist anymore.
      • Alternatively, you can scroll to the bottom and check the box to skip the errors. Generally it’s preferred to resolve the errors first and this option is provided as a last resort.
  9. The migration generally takes less than a minute at which point you’ll see a ‘Migration Complete’ message and the final step is to tap the Disconnect and Finish button which will disconnect your legacy locations
  10. Upon disconnecting your location, you’re done! You can navigate to your User Page or back to your dashboards to verify that everything is working as expected.

If you have any dashboards with devices that don’t appear to update status as expected, try refreshing your browser (F5 / pull-to-refresh) as that will kick off an automatic health-check in the background that can resolve common. Wait about 60 seconds after refreshing the page and then try controlling your device again to verify if the status is updating as expected.

And as always, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to support@sharptools.io

If your SmartThings location shows a five-spoke icon next to it, the location is already connected using the next generation connection.

2 Likes

Wow. I just migrated all my dashboards, custom tiles, etc. The entire process took about 2 minutes and was absolutely painless. Thanks for making it super easy.

2 Likes

i’m still on ’ Please wait for the device sync to complete! Once complete, you can continue the migration’ after 20 mins. Is this normal?

No. It usually takes less a minute. Do you have more than 600 things + components?

No. Probably around 80-100

I would try the authorization again. Perhaps something just got hung up somewhere during the initial device sync.

It worked the second time. Took about 10 seconds!

2 Likes

Migration was clearly signposted step by step and worked first time in less than 30s. Thank you Josh for a painless experience.

2 Likes

Mine took a couple minutes, but was otherwise totally simple and painless. Thanks Josh & Sharptools for the great work!

1 Like

@josh thanks for making a super easy migration experience!!! Does this mean that we can delete the old SharpTools smart app after migrating?

Yes, if you are not using the SharpTools Tasker Plugins / Android Widgets, you can remove the SmartApp. Otherwise it will automatically be removed when SmartThings shuts down Groovy later this year.

1 Like

I finally pulled the trigger and hit the red “Migration Tool” button last night. Today, I noticed the SharpTools Rules based on my iPhone presence or Virtual switches as triggers are not working at all. And I checked the Log of those SharpTools rules, there’s nothing there at all. I tried to re-authorized my smartthings account and sync all the devices. Still, the SharpTools rules didn’t get executed at all.

Can you please tell me how I can fix this?

Thanks

Did you run into any errors during the migration process or exit the migration page before it completed? I’ll cover a few items below:

• Send Rule IDs to Support
  • Healthcheck from refreshing browser
  • Manually remove, save, and re-add triggers
  • Rare Exceptions

Send Rule IDs to Support

The migration tool updates the rules to point to the ‘new’ connection and then adds the required subscriptions, so it should still have events coming in for that device, but it’s possible something went wrong. If you want to send an email to support with example Rule IDs that aren’t triggering as expected, we would be happy to take a closer look for you.

Healthcheck from Refreshing Browser

If you haven’t already, one of the first things I would try is refreshing your browser while viewing a SharpTools rule or your user page. When the web-app first loads, it runs a series of healthchecks in the background which can often clean up issues with event subscriptions. (Though it may be less likely with a migration related issue)

Manually remove, save, and re-add triggers

You could also try manually updating the rule triggers if you prefer. If a trigger doesn’t seem to be working as expected, you can make note of the triggers for the rule, remove the ones that aren’t working and save the rule, then re-add the triggers to the rule and save. Removing, saving, and re-adding the triggers should force the subscriptions to get set back up.

Rare Exceptions

Keep in mind that the next-generation SmartThings platform requires that device attributes and commands are part of a capability. The official SmartThings DTHs almost always implemented a relevant capability for each of their attributes and commands.

There are exceptions where a device implemented a custom attribute or command without using a capability – this is more common in complex community DTHs rather than SmartThings DTHs, but the ‘Virtual Presence Sensor’ is one of these examples where the arrive() and depart() commands are no longer accessible in the next-generation SmartThings platform (and would stop working upon Groovy shutdown anyway).

The stock presence for phones and virtual switch should have transitioned without problem. I only note the above for general awareness.

1 Like