Multi-Device Triggers and Conditions

By popular request, Multi Device Triggers and IF Conditions are now available!

When selecting a device for a Trigger or IF Condition, you’ll now see a selection screen like the above screenshot. You can now select multiple devices and as you do so, it will automatically filter down to other devices which share similar attributes and gray out dissimilar devices.

This also includes some enhancements around location grouping that were requested. If you have multiple locations for a single platform, the devices will now show up grouped by each location rather than by platform alone.

:arrow_forward: Multi Device Actions are now available as well!

Note that the mutli-device IF Conditions make all of the requests for statuses in parallel. For Hubitat users, this may put additional load on your hub compared to the sequential requests that are made when individual comparisons are added to an IF Condition.

Unlike IF Conditions with individual comparisons where AND’ed conditions could be ‘short circuited’ when any of the conditions failed, since the status requests are queued up in parallel for multi-device conditions, all of the status requests are made at once and then compared at once. This should be generally unnoticeable to you, but it may result in more requests to your hub than with individually AND’ed IF Conditions.

9 Likes

The post has been updated to reflect that Multi-Device Actions are now available as well! :partying_face:

@josh, BTW your Multi Device Actions link doesn’t lead to that topic.

1 Like

The link has been corrected. Thanks for mentioning it. :smiley:

1 Like

This is a little unclear to me. When using multiple devices for a trigger, i.e several contact sensors, are we looking for the state change for all or any? or is this configurable?

Triggers are always for ANY of the events occurring.

The items in IF Conditions match the setting of your condition (ANY/ALL).

Thanks I do see that now

Hi @josh, I’m a little confused by this statement:

The items in IF Conditions match the setting of your condition (ANY/ALL).

From how I read it I should see “all” for items in a multidevice IF condition… but I only see “one of”…
For example:

I have “And” between the conditions, but the MultiDevice lists have “one of”.

In this case, I want the first set to be “one of” but the second to be “all”… which doesn’t seem possible even with what you say in the quote. For now, I’ll just list each of the items in the second as separate conditions, but in the future might we have the option to toggle “any/all” between devices in a condition set?

Thanks!

I’ve made note of the feedback. This should probably read “all of” within a condition configured as AND for clarity.

This part hasn’t changed from before. Conditions use the same logic operator (AND or OR) across all the conditions in that block. If you want to mix and match AND with OR, you need to use nested If Conditions today.

If you want one of the Multi Device conditions to be ‘one of’ (any/OR) and the other to be ‘all’ (all/AND), you would need to use nested conditions – this is the case regardless of if it’s a MultiDevice condition or several individual device conditions.

Feel free to create a feature request.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you for the fast and clear reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

I second that, it will make rule flow easier and less complex

We pushed an update which makes it more clear that the Multi Device Conditions use the same logic as the IF Condition block they’re in.

The ‘any of’ / ‘all of’ phrasing within the Multi Device Condition now stays in sync with the IF Condition to make this more apparent.

(As always, make sure to refresh your browser to pull in these latest changes)

2 Likes

For anyone who is looking to see a use case for multi-device triggers, conditions, and actions. I put together a video going over an example rule to control multiple light switches in my kitchen:

The rule will turn on all 5 light switches in my kitchen if any of them are double pressed up, and turn all 5 off if any of them are double pressed down. With the way the automation is setup, all light functions can still control their individual lights as well.

1 Like