Feature Requests: Theme, Icons, Up-Down Tile

Thanks for the additional feedback! Several of these are on the hit list and I’ve taken note of them all!

• Tile Gutter / Spacer Size - it’s on the short list - thanks for confirming the need!
  • Force New Line - I’ve been looking into this. As simple as it sounds, there are actually a few complications depending on the approach that’s taken - especially while maintaining drag-and-drop and my desire to be able to drag across ‘grids’. It’s on the list, but it might be a bigger effort than I originally expected.
  • Fully Kiosk Fullscreen Issue - I’ll look into this. I had noticed some other weirdness with Full Screen on Fully.
  • Tile Label Text Wrap - on many of the 1x1 tiles in your screenshot, it looks like enabling wrapping would overcrowd the tile.

other icon requests: ceiling fan, box fan, outlet

Thanks for the specific suggestions! I’ve included some fan icons, media device icons, and lighting icons in the upcoming release. I’ll see if I can squeeze an outlet icon into this release - otherwise I’ll add it to the list for a future release.

There’s also going to be a section for brands thanks to @Gilbert_Tunmer’s request. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

sweet! can we also default the humidity UoM to %?

In what context? The Hero Attribute tiles?

Edit: I thought I already had a fallback for humidity, but just checked and the logic is to try to pull the unit of measure from the attribute and if the attribute doesn’t supply units, then temperature and level have fallbacks - I’ve added humidity to the list with % as the fallback for missing units.

1 Like

On contact sensors, I would like to see the ability to choose a different icon for open vs. closed. (Perhaps an open door vs. a closed door)

3 Likes

Good point, Dan. Several of the default Things have an active/inactive icon (eg. Garage Door open/closed, Locked/Unlocked, Present/Not Present).

My thought is I could start adding icon ‘pairs’ - like the example you mentioned, a door icon would have both an open/closed icon. Then when you select an icon, the tile would display the active icon or inactive icon accordingly.

4 Likes

Also, when I use a theme, the active and inactive motion tile doesn’t change color.

Are you on Hubitat? I just received a report of motion sensor tiles not changing colors from a Hubitat user this morning. I’ll take a look.

Edit: Fixed and will be included in the next release.

1 Like

Another thing I just noticed on HE. Under the configuration for buttons, there are no button devices showing up. HE uses a Life360 refresh button to force a re-connection, but it does not show up.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting it - that’s a good point as the button implementation on HE is different. I’ll take a look and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and feedback everyone! Tonight’s release includes new icons, rule tiles, default humidity UoM, active state coloring for motion tiles and more!

You can find more details here:

3 Likes

@josh only get home tomorrow but had a quick look through. Looks AWESOME! thanks for all the work guys!

2 Likes

The ability to set the dashboard background color, customize the space between the tiles, and a new View (Kiosk Mode) option are all available as part of today’s platform release. Check of the following thread for more details:

Tile Security, Dashboard Customizations, Thermostats, and Fullscreen

1 Like

Being able to change the text color would be great (and the icon color as well). For some reason my WAF level is dependant on being able to have light coloured buttons on the control panel in the hall :slight_smile: But I cannae do that currently as I wouldn’t be able to see the text.

Thanks for the feedback! It’s on the list and I’ve played with a concept of automatically detecting how dark/light the selected tile background color is and automatically changing the text/icon color to adapt to the inverse.

Do you want to be able to pick a specific text/icon color? Or you just want the text/icon to show up nicely/readable on a light tile color?

I’d be happy with either but my personal preference would be for automatic color selection. One of the things I like about your implementation of the dashboard is how you’ve kept the configuration interface uncluttered. I think automatic selection of icon and text color would help that clean feel.

1 Like

Multi-Capability Sensors

I’ve just integrated one of the Hauppauge 4-in-1 sensors (basically same as the Philio PST02-1A) into my ST setup. It has lux, motion, contact and temperature. I want to include it on a dashboard as a Contact sensor (opened/closed door) but the dashboard edit only provides access to its motion sensor properties, even in hero mode.

Does the capability recognition always map a thing into a single sensor type? Or can it identify multiple (e.g. Contact, Motion etc.). If so it would be really good to be able to select which profile to use for a particular tile. That would be brill as then we could add a multi-sensor to the dashboard using different tiles to show it’s different sensor aspects.

Secondary Attribute Configuration on Icon Style

It would be great to be able to configure the secondary attribute for tiles that are using the standard icon based style as well as the hero style. For example, what I’d like to be able to do is show a contact sensor for a door using the open/close icon but replace the “open/closed” text with the current battery percentage. So I guess this might also mean we would need the ability to specify units for the secondary attribute as well as the primary.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. This is a bit of a holdover from the initial design of how some of the events get wired up on the backend. By default, the tiles get wired up with a set of attribute subscriptions based on their primary capability and there are a handful of attributes which are always subscribed if they are available (eg. battery, humidity, temperature, power, motion). For the time being, I’ll add contact as an always subscribed attribute so you can use it in a Hero Attribute layout, but as you alluded to I’d like to focus on making this more dynamic so you can select any attribute or capability/layout. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion. Let me play around with this concept a bit more… if I keep it on the Default layout, then I might flag it behind an ‘Advanced’ toggle (like the Dashboard Settings has) so it doesn’t overcomplicate the UI for a normal user. Alternatively, I’m wondering if it might fit better in a different layout. :thinking:

1 Like