Feature Request - Tasker Plugin - TV SetVolume, SetInput

A couple of feature requests for the SharpTools Tasker plugin and or a workaround in the meantime:

• An unrestricted input parameter for the built in SetVolume command - at the moment it will only take numerical input, so you can use Tasker Variables for this.
  • A built in change input source command (i.e. so you can change to HDMI1/2/etc., TV Tuner, etc.)

If anyone knows of a way to do these by other means, I’m all ears. Could this be achieved using OCF Commands? I’ve tried using it, but I’m probably getting the syntax wrong or not using the parameter inputs correctly, is there any documentation on the SharpTools Tasker plugin that explains this?

Thanks for the post and the suggestions!

• An unrestricted input parameter for the built in SetVolume command - at the moment it will only take numerical input, so you can use Tasker Variables for this.

This can be accomplished in two different ways depending on the need.

Override Parameters
If you just to override the parameters that are being sent to a device, you can override the type and number of parameters:

1. Create a new Tasker Action → Plugin → SharpTools → ‘A Thing’
  2. Open the overflow menu ...
  3. Check the box for ‘Override Parameters’

You should now be presented with the option to change the data type by tapping the icon to the left of a parameter and you can add/delete parameters as desired.

Tasker Variables
Most SharpTools Tasker plugins support Tasker variables when changed to Tasker Variable mode. To do this:

1. Create a new Tasker Action → Plugin → SharpTools → ‘A Thing’
  2. Tap the tag icon in the action bar to enter Tasker Variable mode
  3. Use your Tasker variables as desired by using the proper format (eg. %myvariable)
  • A built in change input source command (i.e. so you can change to HDMI1/2/etc., TV Tuner, etc.)

The commands that are available for devices are determined by the device handler. SharpTools simply downloads the list of all available commands and exposes them via the Tasker plugins and Widgets. If a device doesn’t expose a particular command you are looking for, you’ll need to submit a request to the community developer (or to SmartThings).

If you want to share a copy of the device details, I’d be happy to take a look. It would be the same steps I mentioned in your other thread.

1 Like

There’s several pieces of documentation which may be helpful:

• In the SharpTools Android app
    • General Information: Slide out the left navigation in the main SharpToosl app and select About
    • Within many of the plugin/widget pages there’s a :grey_question: icon in the action bar that has details about the specific plugin
  • SharpTools Help Site

Thanks again Josh, I’ll check that reading material out. I’m most interested in how those OCF commands could be leveraged, and what the ‘execute’ option does.

If you just to override the parameters that are being sent to a device, you can override the type and number of parameters

I was so close on the Set Volume command - I was pressing on the parameter type before I tried the override, then tried the override but thought you could only add another parameter! All good now, have implemented this as you suggested - many thanks!

The commands that are available for devices are determined by the device handler.

As you might be able to see now, my device supports a ‘Switch’ command, though I can’t see this as a built-in option in the Tasker plugin. Any way to evoke the command using other means? Edit* It just occurred to me that the ‘Switch’ command is probably referring to power on/off, so perhaps switching sources isnt supported by SmartThings for my TV.

1 Like

I think you may be onto something with the execute() and postOcfCommand() methods as it doesn’t look like your device directly exposes a method for changing the input.