Blue Iris - Dashboard

Hi guys.

So I have setup my BlueIris cameras on a dashboard. When on my laptop and viewing the camera tiles they are near perfect in terms of motion. My cameras all display a time with seconds and I see this increment correctly.

However when viewing on my iPhone this is not the case. I can be in the room 30 seconds and see nothing on the tile. The time seconds are also not incrementing. It’s like it’s not live or refreshing.

Any ideas? Anything I can tweak?

Blue Iris itself and the network related issue can be tricky to troubleshoot. Just a few thoughts and hope they may help narrow down the cause

1. Are the camera tiles always lagging when viewing on iPhone or other mobile devices? Can this issue be reproduced on other devices(laptop)?

2. Is there any difference between the network of your laptop and iPhone?

3. If you create a new dashboard with just this camera tile, does it make difference?

4. On your iPhone, if you open the Blue Iris’s camera page on your browser directly, is it sill lagging?

:

Hi James. Some answers to your questions.

1. Are the camera tiles always lagging when viewing on iPhone or other mobile devices? Can this issue be reproduced on other devices(laptop)? The camera tiles are only lagging on iOS iPhones. Will test iPAD when my Mrs is home. Viewing the dashboard on my Macbook or a Windows device the tile is near on live. Maybe a second out.
  2. Is there any difference between the network of your laptop and iPhone? - My Laptops , and iPhones etc are on the same Wifi network.
  3. If you create a new dashboard with just this camera tile, does it make difference? - New dashboard and single camera tile is still lagging.
  4. On your iPhone, if you open the Blue Iris’s camera page on your browser directly, is it sill lagging? - No using the Blue Iris app or using the Blue Iris camera feed page the camera video motion is real time.

Which ‘camera feed page’ are you referring to? I think James was referring to the web page from Blue Iris, but I think the difference there is the feeds might be coming across in a different format than the MJPEG feed used in your media tile.

For me, I think the two main tests I would be interested in are:

• Taking the exact same URL that you used for the media tile and opening that raw url directly in the browser on your phone.
  • Try tweaking the quality / resolution parameters for the media item’s URL to lower the quality / resolution and see if it improves the performance:

Thanks Josh. So I was referring to the BI iOS application, The BI Console , The BI 3 Web console and the same MJPEG url that the tile is using. thats all real time.

But yes what i have not done is try the MJPEG url on my iphone and see if its the same. Good call. I will check that and report back.

Hi Josh.

So this issue is only an issue when viewing on iOS devices. I am just going to have a dashboard for iOS devices and for my Windows devices they can use the MJPG feed as there are no issues.

For iOS i am going to use the image refresh option. This actually works pretty well on iOS device refreshing each second. I can live with that.

However what i am having issue with is making the tile smaller but keeping all of the camera feed in the tile. I tried as an example below but it just keeps the tile feed large. Am i missing something?

https://SERVER-NAME:8181/image/CAMERA-NAME/?s=50/?user=Username-here&pw=Password-here

Actually ignore me on that point above. When viewed on my iOS device the video size is ok. Just when viewing on my computer its massive. but actually i need to do a different dashboard for my windows devices.

I don’t remember off top of my head what does the URL parameter ?s=50 mean in your camera url example, but you can use the w parameter to set the video width and size like the example below:

http://192.168.3.199:81/mjpg/garage?w=800

The other trick I found helpful for Blue Iris is to combine multiple cameras in a group, and display the group in one media tile. See the post below for the example that I put 4 cameras into a “outdoor” group, and use the specific URL to access the grouped camera feeds in one media tile.

1 Like

It’s from the thread I linked to above and is the ‘scale’ parameter, but as noted in that thread it doesn’t work consistently on mjpeg streams, so the height and/or width parameter are preferred in that case.

And I agree that the device groups a neat solution for reducing load on the tablet (though I’m not sure it would help with the delay he’s seeing)

I would also note that there’s a formatting issue with the URL. Instead of a /? before the next parameter, you’ll want to use an & symbol. :slight_smile:

https://SERVER-NAME:8181/image/CAMERA-NAME/?s=50&user=Username-here&pw=Password-here