Album cover art doesn't always appear

Thanks James! I deleted the Heroku instance.

I’m not having much luck so far with getting album art to work. I had things so messed up at one point that I was considering replacing my smart home stuff with Strowger switches (you wouldn’t know about those…),

I’m about back to where I was when I first contacted you. I have no specific questions at this time. I’ll continue to work on it, and undoubtedly will seek help at a later time.

@Stan_Silverman, I am sorry to hear the issues you had with your smart home system. (Had to google Strowger switches due to curiosity. :rofl: )

For the Echo Speaks device not updating to Hubitat issue, I’d suggest to delete the existing devices, smartapp and the server instance, and redo it again with the latest code from Echo Speaks github page. ( I did have the similar issue in SmartThings before and I had to redo it to bring stuff back to working again.)

Not sure what other issues you are having, but you may want to give Hubitat hub a reboot if multiple devices are not updating though.

1 Like

I cleaned out all the old Echo Speaks stuff and reinstalled everything from ground zero. A lengthy process as you know. Also had to redo the 20-plus “speaking” routines.

Then - testing time. I have eleven echo devices, ranging from a couple of the 1st generation echos through several of the latest “show” devices, and a subwoofer. Excluding the subwoofer, every device provided album art to a dashboard - EXCEPT the echo that I wanted to use! Since I have an identical device upstairs, I thought I would just swap it with the non-functioning one.

But wait! What device is the subwoofer connected to? Isn’t it the non-functioning echo? I wonder what would happen if I unpaired them. You guessed it. Works without the subwoofer connected. I’ve tried setting them as a group as well as just a bluetooth pairing. Doesn’t matter.

Had to choose between the subwoofer and a nice dashboard on an HD8.

Dashboard won.

Thanks for your help! Wanna buy a sub?

1 Like

That is so odd it doesn’t work with the subwoofer connected. :thinking:

Wait so there is no party music downstairs anymore? :man_dancing:

1 Like

It is odd. I’ve tried every the combination I can think of to get album art to display when a subwoofer is involved. For example, I’ve grouped the sub with another Echo device, and then included that group in a multi-room music group. Nope. If the subwoofer is anywhere in the device string it’s no album art.

1 Like

@James

I have a related question for you: I switched from SmartThings to Hubitat (and made the changes in Sharptools), but now my Album Cover art is subpar.

1. About 30% of the time it doesnt show the album art… just the headphone icon. (On ST that never happened).
  2. The 70% of the time that it does show the art, it seems like its pulling from an inferior image source. Some images are the right artist, but some alternate cover art that I havent seen before (for common artists). Or the art has odd things like a retail sticker in the corner (verses it being clean when I was on SmartThings).

Any ideas? I could go back to SmartThings for this, but I was hoping to fully migrate away from that platform.

Which speaker / device integration are you referring to?

If it’s Sonos, the Sonos integration on Hubitat does not provide the source images to SharpTools like the SmartThings-Sonos integration does. So the tile falls back to searching online for a relevant image based on the metadata provided. That fallback search is dependent on the quality of the metadata that’s provided by the device (eg. accurate artist name, etc) and can usually find images for common albums, but might struggle for more esoteric albums or if low quality metadata is provided by the device.

1 Like

Good assumptions! Yes, it’s Sonos with Hubitat.
Thanks for the info (as always)! I’ll bring it up over on the Hubitat forum.