Adding additional Phone numbers for SMS

Josh - please ignore previous PM regarding changing SMS number. I’ve installed Pushover and all is well,

Thanks.

2 Likes

I agree that we should be able to send an SMS to more than one phone number. Many families have additional family members (e.g. spouses) who should also be informed when there’s something worth informing about. I understand that “you can further complicate your solution by adding in another tool to accomplish this” but ideally we shouldn’t have to do that for such a common need.

Maybe where one adds an SMS in the Rules Engine if there was a “how to add a second phone number” if there was a pointer to the information above (work arounds) and a pointer to this ‘voting ability’ more people would push for this.

Consider this my vote. Hopefully this capability will get added to this great tool before too long. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback - make sure to scroll up to the top of the post and cast a vote. :slight_smile:

Done, thanks! I’m getting smarter about this stuff every day. But I obviously have a LONG way to go.

1 Like

Josh, on further reflection I’ve removed my vote.

I think using Pushover is likely the way to go. I’m now using that to push notifications to my iPad, iPhone, desktop browser, and well as the devices of my wife. Having a tool specifically designed to do this, including all of the various permutations of HOW people want this to happen, does make good sense.

Thanks again,

Scott

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Pushover Delivery Groups

Are we now able to add a second SMS?

No. When a Feature Request is closed out, we’ll reply to the thread linking to the release post.

See my reply above with some alternative approaches:

New to Pushbullet (and SharpTools.)

I need to send text notifications from SharpTools routines to multiple phones. I have a single Pushbullet account setup (using my GMail), with the app on two Galaxy phones.

When I login to Pushbullet on my PC, I see both phones under Devices. When SharpTools sends out a notification to both phones, the browser on my PC shows the notification sent to both phones. But only one of the phones actually receives the notification.

I’m not sure why this isn’t working, or where to look to troubleshoot. Hoping I’m missing something simple, as it’s really simple to send messages to multiple phones via WebCoRE…

Appreciate any help…

Can you share some screenshots of what you’re seeing and how you have things configured?

Keep in mind that the Pushbullet action in SharpTools rules send the notification to a single device that you’ve selected. You would need to add multiple Pushbullet actions if you wanted to send to multiple targets. (Pushover, on the other hand, allows sending to multiple devices in a single action)

You said that you can see both devices on the PC – do you see both devices in the drop-down list within the Pushbullet action in SharpTools rules? From your PC, manually send a message to each device and make sure you receive it.

So, from the Pushbullet screen, it appears the text is sent to both phones, but only one phone (Dave’s) actually receives the text.

The android Pushbullet app is installed on both phones, using the same Pushbullet credentials.

Idk if I have some setting incorrect on the second phone?

Thanks…

@dave.blackwell can you try to modify the title and message in the 2nd message so they are slightly different from the 1st one? From my quick tests, I was able to reproduce the same issue if I send the exact same message to both devices, but both devices received the notifications if I change the message a bit. Not sure if there’s something at the Pushbullet side that preventing the same message from being sent to multiple devices within a short period.

I was able to receive the notifications on both devices in the following setting.

1 Like

Sure enough! When I change the BODY to be unique, it works. Pushbullet notifications appear on each of the 2 phones.

Wow, frustrating! Wish I could just simply text a single notification to 2 cell phone numbers!

Thanks! Appreciate your help!

2 Likes

You might also give Pushover a try if you want easier configuration for sending the same notification to multiple devices at once. The UI in SharpTools allows you to check the box next to multiple devices at once – or you can use a ‘group key’ to always send to certain group of devices.

It’s a one-time fee of $5 per platform (eg. Android / iOS) and you can use it on multiple devices of the same OS type. I’m pretty sure it comes with a trial per OS, but it’s been a while since I first tested it.

1 Like

I may be late here, but if you’ve got an iPhone here is how I did it.

After you’ve set up your rule with your own phone number, trigger the rule, the number that sms texts you, you’ll save that number (door sensor) then you’ll head over to shortcuts then tap automations. Crest an automation that sends a text out to other contacts when you get a message from the number that you just saved.

Nice! So this enables you to react to the SMS message that you receive on your phone using an iOS Shortcut automation and effectively foward that SMS onto other users? Neat approach!

We recently released ‘Additional Emails in Rules’ to beta in production and have included an Email-to-SMS wizard.

Many telecom providers offer an email address that you can send messages to and it will automatically deliver them as SMS messages to your phone. For example:

Our Email-to-SMS wizard included in the latest beta enables you to enter your phone number and it will attempt to automatically find the email-to-SMS format for your carrier. This works for the big three US carriers mentioned above and has some fallback search features for a number of international carriers.

If your carrier isn’t automatically matched, but has an email-to-sms format, you can use it directly but we’d also love if you let us know the format so we can add it to the database!

Yes, that’s correct. At first I didn’t think or know if I could or if it would work but it does. And no special coding either. I hope this helps those that want multiple contacts.

The draw back I’m still figuring out is how to automatically send the message instead of having to hit the run automation pop up.

1 Like

I know this is old but I came across an app that works for me. I have sharptools doing the sms to me and I have it set up with an app called sms forwarder. For the app there’s a filter that if I receives a message from the sharptools number with a certain phrase it’ll be forwarded to a few people.

1 Like